Sunday, November 27, 2011

Need some suggestions....

As I sit here, getting whiffs of the beef stew I have in the crockpot, I have been trying to research some essential workout items.  So, I am going to ask for advice here my friends.  All comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

First, I desperately need a new pair of workout shoes.  Now, I have been goggling workout shoes and I am guessing cross trainers are what I need.  I say that because I do cardio, weights, etc in my workouts.  Almost all the sites I have looked researched keep mentioning the ASICS Women's Gel-160TR Training Shoe.  Does anyone know if this is a good shoe or not?  Also, I know I am going to have to spend some money for a good pair of shoes.  What is the average price range I should be looking for here?  I don't want to spend a ton of money on a crappy shoe.  I want something that is going to give me support (especially in my ankles) and not make my feet feel horrible when I am done.

Second, I am going to be purchasing the Mari Winsor pilates video in a few weeks.  Here are my questions about that: 1) I have looked at her site and she offers bands, mat, etc with the videos.  Do I need the bands, mat, and the extras to do the workouts?  Is that something I should invest in since I am just starting or wait?  2) She has several different DVDs available.  Which one would be the best one to start with for a beginner? 

And two final questions dealing with working out (and I am only asking because I know some of you have WAY more knowledge than me when it comes to this stuff).  Since I am going to gym after work, what is the max I should be walking on El Diablo (the name I gave my treadmill) on in the morning?  Also, in the same line of questioning, does any one know of a good free weight/isometric workout I can do at home?  I am currently doing 30 minutes of cardio between the NuStep and treadmill and 20 minutes of weights while at the gym.  I want to start working out at home on the days the gym is closed or I can not get there. 

Thank you in advance for any advice.  I know I probably sound silly asking these questions.  However, some of you who read my blog are again more knowledgeable than me when it comes to all of this.  I hope to have it all figured out one day.  But until then, I look to you for some guidance.

Here is a pic of the ASCIS shoe I was talking about earlier.  It looks comfy but I still need assistance!

Asics Womens Gel Fluent TR 2

Again, thanks for any and all suggestions!   I truly appreciate everything!!


1 comment:

  1. Not that I am an expert by far, but I have some helpful thoughts for you:
    1) I have similar shoes, and I like them. I paid more than I usually do, but I needed a good shoe because I workout, jog, etc. a lot. I am normally a New Balance shoe person, but like Asics now.
    2) I would do at least 30 min in the morning or more if you can, and the gym after work if that is what you are doing. That is great. I've heard morning workouts are better any way. Remember that is is about getting your heartrate up, that is what burns calories. I don't monitor mine but I want to. Just haven't bought a monitor yet. If I don't sweat a lot I don't feel like I've done anything, so that is my motto "must sweat" every day!
    3) Are you working with a trainer? If not, you should at least once, and they can tell you what to do. I am in a PEIA program at the gym and the trainer told me things like working out twice a day, weights 3 days, do heavier weights, etc. is good for me to lose more weight. But to be honest, it's all about the calories. I workout like crazy, but if I don't watch calories, I don't lose. I'm struggling with this now - not watching and gaining back what I had lost!

    Good luck to you, you are doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete