Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Great Experience

The two questions that a get a lot these days when I mention the WV Power Host Family program is "What is a host family?" and "What exactly do you do as a host family?"  Well, all I can say is "Being a host family for the WV Power is a GREAT experience!" 

Last year when Johnny came home talking about this program, I was like "I don't know."  I worried about what exactly we had to do, how much of a time committment would it be, etc.  Now, I look back and am very THANKFUL to be part of this experience. 

The program works like this - our wonderful host family director Robin Black assigns you a player (or sometimes two).  You meet your player before the season begins and you assist them in finding/setting up a place to live.  Then there are several committments you do through the year - attending host family picnics, packing them a "road bag" for away trips, and helping them pack/clean their apartments at the end of the season.  After those basic things, it is up to you what more you do.  We have taking our players out to dinner.  We try to make as many games as we possible can to show our support and support them and the team.  We try to see our player before each game and bring them a little treat.  Honestly, I try to treat my adopted "son" as I would want someone to treat my child in the same situation.

I think one of the BEST things of the host family program is this - I have met some wonderful individuals, made some great friends, and extended my family!  Not only have we got the chance to get and know our players, we have met and got to know some other great players also. 

So, would I recommend this program to anyone?  ABSOLUTELY!!  Am I grateful that Johnny came home talking about this program last year?  ABSOLUTELY!!  I actually look forward to baseball season and count down the days until the "boys of summer" come back into town.  LET'S GO POWER!!!

Trent Stevenson - Our first adopted Power player!
I am very thankful to call this young man my second son now!
We love and miss you Trent!



We were very honored to meet Trent's dad, Jim!
I was so happy to see him anytime he got to come in.  A truly wonderful person.
 Rinku Singh and I
Rinku was our second Power Player.  A very wonderful young man!

Top pic - Tina Harrison and Justin Ennis
Bottom pic - Willy Garcia
These are Tina's "boys".  Two great individuals!
Also, Tina and I have really grown close this year!  I love knowing she is at
the games with me!
Our new player this year - Clairo Perez
We meet Clario around mid-May.  Very nice young man!
Though there is a little speech barrier, I am glad to see Clairo each game!




Other wonderful people we have meet!
Top - Robin Black - our fearless leader
2nd - Rod "The Toastman" Blackstone
3rd - Jon Schwin
4th - Justin Ennis and Mike Jefferson
5th - Gregory Polanco, Elias Diaz, Junior Sosa, Jose Osuna, Francisco Aponte, Orlando Casto, Clario Perez and Porfirio Lopez

No comments:

Post a Comment