Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Trip To The Coal Mines

Coal Mining is definitely a way of life here in West Virginia.  Many that live in this state is touched in one way or another by coal mining.  I myself am the quintessential Coal Miner's daughter.  My daddy worked for many years in the mines.  Yes, there were many days when I worried sick about daddy.  Thankfully though, he came home to us everyday.

Today, my son's scout troop took a trip to the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine (http://www.beckley.org/exhibition_coal_mine/).  This was an actual mine that operated by the Phillips family in the late 1800s.  

I was excited for my son to take the tour that takes you 1,500 feet beneath the ground.  It had been years since I last had went on the tour (fourth grade to be exact).  A lot had changed since I was last there; however, the experience was still the same.  

Honestly, I am in awe of what these men use to work and still work in everyday.  I definitely can say I appreciate my daddy even more.  I realize that many advancements have been made since the 1800s when the mine was first opened.  However, mining is still a dangerous job.  I give thanks to those who go into that black hole day and night!

I would highly recommend taking the tour if you are ever in the area.  I think you will love it as well.

Have a great evening everyone!

Cliff, our guide, showing us the carbide lights used by the miners.  Yes, he turned off the lights to demonstrate!






No comments:

Post a Comment