Saturday, July 20, 2013

A Time to Dance, A Time to Mourn

I think the Byrds hit the nail right on the head
with their song "Turn, Turn, Turn." which 
was adapted the book of Ecclesiastes (3:1).
However, I think in the case of what has been
happening lately, I would change the words
around to "a time to mourn, a time to dance."
Because we have definitely being in mourning, but
now is the time to dance (celebrate) with a start of
a beloved project.

It has taken me a while to write about this subject.
It has been a long and very difficult past month.
I just did not have the words to write about 
this before now.  However, after seeing
what happened yesterday, I think it is time to
share this story.

On June 24, 2013, the world of the Appleton family, 
the Kanawha Salines Church and the Malden
Volunteer Fire Department were turned upside down.

While responding to a call in Sissonville, WV,
Rev. John T. Appleton lost his life in the line of duty.
Sadly, John passed away from a cardiac arrest at the scene.


It was a very difficult week saying goodbye
not only to my pastor, a beloved firefighter but
also my friend.  


My heart is still very heavy.
Not with grief for John because I have no doubt
where he is now.  However, my heart still hurts
for his wife and one of my best friends, Cathy.
My heart still hurts for his family.
My heart still hurts for our church.
And my heart still hurts for the Malden VFD.

The healing process is a long one no matter 
the circumstances.  However, when it happens
so suddenly and without any warning, it seems
to make the healing process just a little longer.
Though I know God has a plan for everyone 
and everyone has only a certain number of
days on this Earth, it is still hard.  
I know though they we have all 
gained a very special guardian angel in Heaven
now and John will always be with us.

I also believe the healing process also got a 
little jolt yesterday from a wonderful project coming
to light.  Before John passed away, he was
working within the community to begin a Farmer's Market
in the town of Malden.  John wanted to bring the community
together not only for the purpose of getting to know your
neighbor but also living a healthier lifestyle.

The market was suppose to open the week John passed away.
Sadly, the opening had to be delayed while all the ins and outs
were figured out after losing our sheperd. 
However, through a lot of love and hard work through
our beloved church members Cathy, Danny and Chris
Proctor, John's dream opened yesterday!




It made my heart a little less heavier yesterday pulling on the 
parking lot and seeing the produce being displayed.
It made my heart a little less heavier when I watched 
customers coming into the market and buying produce.
It made my heart a little less heavier when I heard/read
that we sold out of almost EVERYTHING!!
God truly blessed us yesterday and I know John
was smiling down on us yesterday!

So yes, I believe there is always "A time to dance,
a time to mourn."  

Have a blessed day everyone!

**NOTE**
The market will be opened on Thursdays from 2-7pm
at the Kanawha Salines Presbyterian Church.
We hope to have more and more produce every week.
We will also be offering baked home goodies as well.
We would love to have you come out and see
everything that is being offered weekly.

No comments:

Post a Comment