Saturday, October 8, 2011

Actually...Low Carb eating can be tasty!

When I started this journey back in August, I was thinking great, no taste food!!  However, I have found some GREAT recipes so far in my journey.  I have been quite surprised on what a person can eat while trying to follow a low carb diet.  Now, remember what I have said before, I am not going strict low carb.  I am averaging around 40 to 45 a day.  But again, considering the daily recommended carbohydrate intake is 180-270 (OMG!), I think 40/45 is awesome!!

So tonight, I wanted to share some of the great recipes I have found thus far! 

On the menu tonight was a lemon pepper pork chop.  It was very yummy!

These pork chops were very easy to make.  You can find the recipe right here.  And yes, you see corn on my plate.  Believe it or not, but it is true, that is the first corn I have had since August 21.  And quite honestly, I really haven't missed it.  However, since I was cooking for only myself tonight and needed something simple, I used the very last frozen corn we had in the freezer.

Last night, I tried something completely new in our household.  I cooked turkey breast cutlets.  I did not even know they sold stuff like this in stores.  So, after browsing the internet yesterday, I found the recipe that gave me this:

These are Dijon Turkey Cutlets.  And I can say oh my goodness, these were great!  So moist and tender.  And quick - 7 minutes total cooking time.  I have always loved turkey and now that I can get turkey like this, you better believe I will be getting some more.  The recipe for this can be found right here.  I served this with one of JJ's favorites - broccoli with cheese.  Thank goodness for Green Giant frozen vegetables.  Fast and easy!

Another one of JJ's favorites is a recipe I started making a while ago.  And guess what it is?

Yep, more broccoli.  However, I make this so he does not ask for cheese.  The recipe is so simple, it is not funny.  Take two bunches of broccoli and cut into florets.  Place in baking dish, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle with montreal steak seasoning.  Bake for 20 minutes at 375.  Delicious!!  I have actually followed that recipe to do other vegetables like asparagus, zucchini, and squash.  All very good.

Here are a couple of other pictures of some other items I have made recently. 
Crab cake (lightly breaded and baked), shrimp, and broccoli
Low Carb Pizza
Egg Bake with ham, mushrooms, and cheddar cheese
Round Steak, squash, sauted onions, and salad

Just a quick note, the pizza is made on a low carb (5g) flat bread then topped with pizza ingredients.  Very yummy and JJ loves them.  It also tastes like a thin crust pizza once baked.  Also, the sauce on the baked egg is not ketchup.  It is Frank's Hot Sauce.  I love, Love, LOVE Frank's Hot Sauce.  I use it alot and keep it beside my stove at all times.  It is my go to seasoning!!

Quick and funny story about the squash in the last picture.  When I went and purchased the squash from Walmart, the sales clerk actually looked at me and said the following when trying to look it up.  "Is this zucchini or squash?  I can't tell the difference because I don't eat vegetables."  It was hard not to look up and say "What?"  Oh well, maybe she will start eating vegetables one day!

Come along for the ride.  The adventure is becoming tasty....

No comments:

Post a Comment