Sunday, October 23, 2011

A special note about...

My son JJ!  So far, I have wrote alot about Johnny and I.  However, JJ needs some mentioning here also!  I am so proud of him.  To be 13 and thrusted into this is a lot for any kid.  However, his journey thus far has been filled with many twists and turns!

About 3 years ago, JJ was enrolled into the Healthy Kids program at CAMC.  He did wonderfully on the program by losing around 50 pounds or more.  However, I felt horrible.  Here was my son having to eat all this stuff while Johnny and I still were eating "normal."  I so hated that for him.  I know what you thinking, why did we not do it with him?  Honestly, I don't know!  Looking back, we should have and maybe the changes would have stuck.  But we did not and I have felt horrible since then.

Through the last couple of years, the weight came back on.  Then sometime in the last year and a half, JJ's lab work come back bad.  His fasting insulin was high and some other numbers were not good.  So, we were referred to Dr. Bendre, a pediatric endocronologist.  Sadly, JJ was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance and Hypothyrodism.  I was devasted.  To help with the weight gain, we tried to get him back into the Healthy Kids program.  However, that did not pan out.  We tried to start limiting things; however, that did not work out either.

So, about a year ago, Dr. Bendre prescribed Synthroid (because his thyroid numbers kept getting worse) and Metformin (1000 mg a day to help protect his pancreas).  Then about six months ago, the Metformin was increased to 2000mg a day.  I was devasted all over again.  I needed to find a way to help JJ!

That is when I contacted the PEIA Weight Management program in June.  I decided that instead of trying the Healthy Kids program again, JJ and I would BOTH enroll in the Weight Management program and do it together.  That way, he would not feel alone and have someone along with him on the journey this time.  We got all the paperwork submitted; however, then we hit a road block.  The only facility that would take JJ is the CAMC Weight Loss Center (FYI - this is where Dr. Rossi is, Johnny's doctor).  However, their exercise physiologist had quit and they had not found a replacement.  So, we had to be put on a waiting list.  UGH!!!

JJ was scheduled to see Dr. Bendre on August 22.  Honestly, I was dreading this appointment.  I knew JJ and I would get another lecture about his weight.  Now, I need to say something.  If any of you know JJ, you all know this kid is always doing something.  Yes, there are days he plays is video games, etc.  But honestly, JJ is a very active kid.  I got tired of hearing the doctor always telling him to do more when honestly, he was doing more.  Therefore, during the appointment, we got the news he had gained weight again and Dr. Bendre wanted him in a program now.  I informed him that we had been placed on a waiting list and were waiting to hear from the facility.  That is when he dropped his bombshell. 

We were told to give up all refined sugars, most carbohydrates.  No pasta, rice, corn (yikes, JJ's favorite vegetable), peas (double yikes, JJ's other favorite vegetable), and all the other good stuff we all love.  However, I decided, if this was going to help until we started the Weight Management program, then we would do it.  I came home and cleaned out all the cabinets of the bad stuff (sadly, we had just went huge grocery shopping - half the stuff I bought went away).  I talked with friends and got great advice.  A BIG thank you to Amy Steirwalt - you have been my life saver in all of this.  Thank you for all the assistance and listening to all my questions.  I truly appreciate you very much.  Also, a BIG thank you to Brooke Sigman for working around my son's diet during this football season.  You cooked different things for him when you did not have to.  I truly appreciate you very much as well.  You two have been great and I will never forget all you have done!

Now, two months later, JJ is doing GREAT!  He has lost probably around 30 pounds.  Yes, he sometimes fights me about things, but all and all, he is really good about everything.  And yes, I "let" him slip sometimes.  Every once in a while, he gets french fries and a Tudor's biscuit, but it is not all the time like it was back before August 22nd. 

Now, you know the story!  Again, I am SO PROUD of JJ!  He truly is great kid.  I am proud of him and love seeing the look in his eyes when something is getting to big now or really loose.  He is just so proud!

Come along for the ride!  The adventure is even better because of my wonderful son.....


No comments:

Post a Comment